History of veterinary service in Nepal is not so long as it was deemed necessary with the outbreak of Cattle plague in the country. Series of Rinderpest (Cattle Plague) outbreaks in different parts of country highlighted the need of veterinary services and its role in disease control. To control the Rinderpest outbreak in Kathmandu Valley, veterinary dispensary was established at Tripureshor in 1996 B.S. (1939 A. D). It is marked as the pioneer activity for the development of Animal Health and livestock related services in Nepal. Later on in 1940 A.D. the veterinary dispensary was upgraded to Veterinary Hospital.
With the detection of Rinderpest in different parts of the country, veterinary services was extended in different parts as and when required to contain the outbreaks of Rinderpest, now eradicated from the world. Thirty three veterinary hospitals, 21 veterinary dispensaries and 4 animal quarantine check-posts were established by 1960 A.D. With the realization of need of efficient veterinary service throughout the country, veterinary hospitals were established in 75 districts accordingly by 1983 A.D. Read More >>